- Minnesota is among the nation’s top five fuel ethanol producers, and has more E85 fueling stations than any other state.
- About 30% of all U.S. crude oil imports flow through Minnesota. Some of the crude oil from Canada and North Dakota is processed at Minnesota’s Pine Bend Refinery, the largest crude oil refinery located in a non-oil-producing state.
- About 31% of utility-scale electricity generation in Minnesota came from coal-fired electric power plants in 2019, down from 53% in 2011.
- Minnesota’s two nuclear power plants, Monticello and Prairie Island, accounted for 24% of the state’s electricity net generation in 2019.
- In 2019, Minnesota ranked seventh in the nation in electricity generating capacity and total generation from wind energy. The state’s wind farms generated 11 million megawatthours of electricity that year, 19% of the state’s total net generation.
Source: Energy Industry Administration
Last updated: May 21, 2020
You must be logged in to post a comment.